Thursday, December 13, 2007

Blogging - how to get started

So you wan't to join the blogging frenzy too, but your at a loss about how to get started. Fear no more, I'll show you the basics.

Step One - Find a Topic
Well, the first thing you need is something to blog about. You need something to focus on. In this blog I have a very general topic. If I were to put one tagline on this blog it would be something like this: "The Internet Through a Bloggers Eyes". Actually that's not a bad tagline, I think I'll actually use that.
However, back to the point. You need a topic. That topic can be anything, but it's important that you use a topic you want to write about regularly. If you want people to read your blog you need to be able to update it regularly. On my blog I have a general rule of at least one update every day.
If you just want your friends to read it that isn't as important, but if you do want as many visitors as possible frequent updates are important. To make frequent updates you need to be genuinely interested in your topic.

Step Two - Finding a Place to Blog
You have your topic and you're ready to make your first post, now you just need a place to post it. There are many options. You can buy a domain and a space at a web host, however, if you don't want to start by investing a lot of money in stuff like that there are plenty of other excellent options.
Blogger.com, right here actually, is an excellent option for a first time blogger. If you have a google account anyway, through gmail, you can go right ahead and create your first blog. Another popular option is wordpress.com which is another free blogging host. As a first time blogger I recommend that you use one of those two options.

Step Three - Blogging
All you have to do now is start putting your posts online. Yup! That's all there is to it. It is really easy to get started. Further down the road you might want to buy a domain and you might also start to think about monetizing your blog. However, these three easy steps are all you need to get started.

Have fun and get blogging!

No comments: